Carbon Capture Utilization and Storage
Law Firm of Choice for CCUS Projects and Transactions
The utilization of carbon capture and storage (CCUS) technology is positioned to have a pivotal impact on the energy transition. Companies and governments worldwide are setting ambitious goals for achieving net-zero emissions, and these objectives prominently feature the integration of CCUS technology.
Kuiper Law Firm leads the way in shaping policies, regulations, and legal advancements concerning CCUS ventures and deals. Boasting one of the most extensive cross-disciplinary energy collectives in the U.S., we possess an unmatched comprehension of the diverse commercial challenges confronting carbon capture innovators, backers, and purchasers. We advocate for participants in the energy, chemical, and manufacturing sectors as they strive to shift toward lower carbon-emitting operations. Moreover, we offer guidance to project initiators, creators, as well as private equity and infrastructure funds in maneuvering intricate technological, transactional, and regulatory frameworks.
Our lawyers have extensive backgrounds encompassing midstream and upstream oil and gas realms, alongside expertise in renewables and traditional power domains. This breadth of knowledge synergizes effectively with the firm’s core capabilities in oil, gas & mineral law, regulatory, business law and commercial transactions.
Our Carbon Capture Utilization and Storage offering includes:
CCUS Project Support:
- Legal Framework Expertise: Providing insights into relevant laws, regulations, and policies related to CCUS projects, ensuring compliance and minimizing legal risks.
- Project Structuring: Assisting in the formation and structuring of CCUS projects, including joint ventures, partnerships, and corporate entities, to optimize financing and risk allocation.
- Contract Drafting and Negotiation: Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating agreements among stakeholders, such as technology providers, project developers, investors, off-takers, and government entities.
- Intellectual Property (IP) Protection: Handling IP issues related to proprietary CCUS technologies, including patents, licensing, and technology transfer agreements.
- Environmental and Regulatory Compliance: Navigating environmental and regulatory requirements for permitting, emissions, storage, and transportation of captured carbon.
- Project Due Diligence: Conducting legal due diligence to assess risks and opportunities associated with CCUS projects for potential investors or partners.
- Risk Management: Developing strategies to manage legal and operational risks, including liability for carbon leakage, storage site integrity, and long-term liability.
- Carbon Off-take Agreements: Drafting agreements for the sale, use, or disposal of captured carbon, outlining terms, pricing, and responsibilities.
- Carbon Trading and Offset Mechanisms: Assisting with legal aspects of participating in carbon trading markets or offset programs to monetize captured carbon emissions.
- Project Closure and Liability Mitigation: Developing strategies to manage liabilities, decommissioning, and site closure once the CCUS project’s lifecycle is complete.